3 Things women probably need to know about cars

Sooo... a few weeks was probably the crappiest week of note for me and my tiny black car. (As mentioned in one of my previous posts). Just like all crappy things, you never know when they going to creep up on you, so it started off great, I checked the postbox, cause I've been waiting for a parcel to come, and low and behold in the post box was a collection note for the post office! Ever so eagerly I grabbed my goods for varsity hopped into my car and drove to the post office, like 2 minutes away, LITERALLY. I went to fetch my parcel (it took me like a minute, LITERALLY) came back to my car... and it wouldn't start...



I thought at that moment I don't have enough knowledge to know what to do now... After seeking help from a complete stranger (one of my fears cause like, social anxiety) and then getting stuck again then sobbing (cause it was that time of the month, possibly TMI but whatevs)  but I got it sorted... and then I realized (a week later) hey, this is a brilliant idea for a post. 



So here's a list of some things I wish I knew when my car stops being a car.

Changing a tire
Don't get me wrong, I never changed a tire in my life, but have someone on call to do this for you... But make sure you have all the tools for this. One day on my driving adventures I needed a tire to be changed (we won't mention how we go to this), but there was a whole lot of weirdo's that approached me to help me in distress but alas I called my father, and he was like do you have a spare or donut, a jack and-and-and... and I was like uhm I'll check and call you back (meanwhile I thought a donut would be a great idea right now), well now I know I do have a spare and a jack and-and-and...

Water and Oil
Without fail, every single time when I put in petrol they will ask me, can I check your oil and water? And without fail, every single time, I say: "Nah I'm sure it's fine"... Until one day it wasn't. I was driving home and my temperature gauge shot up! And I was like, woah, this can't be good, I immediately drove to the nearest gas station (which is not recommended, you should stop immediately, luckily it was only a couple meters away) and low and behold my car was out of water... Apparently, this can cause some serious problems with your car, I plan not to figure that out... moral of the story, check your water and oil every so now and again.

"I left my light's on"
Ever leave your lights on? "I have!" (haha what hasn't happened to me?) Some fortunate people haven't encountered this before, cause cars these days come with notifications to say you being an idiot. But winter mornings really played me, cause I'd leave my home at 6am in the dark (so obvz got to switch my lights on), then I got to campus and it's suddenly light out! but did I switch my lights off? One day I came back to my car and it didn't even want to unlock! This is when I knew I was screwed!

Also ran out of petrol once... so fill your tank kids 👍🏼



The unfortunate things can happen at any moment and we have to be prepared for it, I chose to write this post to make other girls like me aware, I hope it helps you in the smallest way! Even if you totally just laughed at the idiot I am, my work here is done.

Pictures by Steve Lambert (Check out his blog here)

Thank you to all my humans who bailed me out of these situations, you know who you are 💙 
Campus Protection Services and the Police Officers who stood by my car during these trying times! I'm just a girl trying to figure adulting out!

   
~
be kind.
Zoë


3 comments

  1. cool post. how did you finance your car?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't, I worked for a year and bought it :)

      Delete
  2. Cool post. How can you say "nah" when they want to check your water and oil? Lol

    ReplyDelete

My Instagram